Tuesday, June 29, 2010

2 months later...

Shortly after my last blog post, I discovered the culprit of our oppressive laundry load: gastro esophageal reflux. I guess I had dismissed the fact that Sam was spitting up outrageous amounts of his meals all day everyday because all babies spit up, right? Unfortunately, Sam was not gaining weight. Upon learning this, I also learned that I was capable of worrying. Days full of pumping, consuming galactagogues and switching to a double cheeseburger diet (to increase and fatten up my milk supply), sleepless nights passed by holding our babe upright, frequent doctors office visits, and two different reflux medications later, Sam now weighs about a pound more than he did at birth. It has been stressful to say the least. However, I know this too shall pass, and it has been positive in that I'm gaining an understanding of how much we are loved as sons and daughters by our parents and by God --I'd truly do anything for this little guy!

Here are some other reasons why parenthood will probably be one of the best things that has happened to me:
  • I exercise more frequently and at a more challenging rate than before. There's nothing like endorphins to induce some much-needed peace and sanity, plus Childwatch at the YMCA is so nice! And while I'm away from the baby, because I so desperately need a break from him, miraculously, I can't stop thinking about him and how I should hurry back to him, hence, I go faster.
  • Time is rarely wasted. Our added responsibility gives me less time to waste, and anyway, I don't want to model for my son laziness. That would be a detriment to both of us.
  • I'm more relaxed about trivial things. I know that at the end of the day, if our house looks like a tornado ripped through it and I didn't accomplish a tenth of the tasks on my to do list, I would still have had a meaningful day, if for no other reason than the fact that I was Sam's mom that day.
  • More than ever before, I'm committed to my dreams and values. I want my son to learn empathy, respect, humor, forgiveness, humility, and to have faith in doing what his soul feels compelled to do. So, I've been back on the Appalachian Trail (although I'm not knocking out the miles like I used to), and yes!, I've made my way back to the easel. Having a new little full time job, it's not easy to do, but when will it ever be anyway?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading your blogs about pregnancy, childbirth, parenting and baby Sam. While my 'childbearing' years are long gone, it is not without regret! I loved having babies and raising children-maybe that is why your mother and a i have so much in common!
Also, 30 odd years ago i was a prepared childbirth instructor in B'ham. I also included some lamaze and lots of natural childbirth and breastfeeding. I worked as a class instructor and childbirth coach (as we were called then) in b'ham and in Arab,as Bob, My husband, delivered babies during our early years in Arab. I did completely natural childbirth myself (4 times) and loved breastfeeding,about a year each, after I got used to it and my my breasts adjusted!!!
Bob delivered our babies,so that made it special. I quit having babies when he quit delivering or vice versa!
It seems that childbirth has gotten so mechanical (although I'm sure parents don't feel thatway!). It was so nice to read your real, emotional story that in so many ways mimicked mine-and read and feel the love and joy of having children (even the trials!)
I don't 'snoop' your wall but love your blogs-I also have a "naturalist' son who reminds me of you so i read that blog as well-he's on his way to your accomplishments! I hope you don't mind-if so please feel free to tell me.
Your mom and I have made a real and emotional reconnect on FB that brings me great joy. I only wish ya'll had stayed in Arab-I always felt a connection with her. You are a lucky daughter and I KNOW she's a loving and proud mom!
Pardon the length of this-just felt a need to 'fess' up.:)
Be well-Candy Hargraves

Christine Frackelton said...

Thank you for sharing all of that, Candace!