(20 minutes later)... he's back asleep, thank God. It's true what they say about the sight of a sleeping baby -- there's nothing sweeter. It's all worth the work for this precious moment.
Also, I got some pretty good smiling out of him today, and that pretty much melted my heart.
He's definitely grown and changed over the past weeks in other ways too. For instance, he can keep his fingers in his mouth for a good amount of time now, instead of just a few seconds like when he was born.
However, I think I have changed and grown just as much. As an example, I'm now ambidextrous. I've also adopted such grown-up qualities as wearing unfashionable clothes (which work better for nursing and are not pitied when spit up or peed on), and cleaning for short amounts of time frequently instead of procrastinating until company comes. I've learned a ton: wiping the rectal area of a newborn has the potential to stimulate bowel movement (surprise!), I would make a terrible single parent (this I've learned tonight while the husband's away), and although he looks like the spitting image of his Daddy, Sam has an affinity for the outdoors just like his mom.
Importantly, though, I've learned that despite all the doubts I've had, I can mother (with others' help), and I am incredibly blessed.
2 comments:
A sense of humor helps at this stage of motherhood, and yours seems to be in tact :) YOU are a wonderful and beautiful mommy!
I'm an 'old friend of your moms' and we've rediscovered each other-which has been great! The most remarkable thing is that this has happened during this amazing time in your families life. Your mom has shared this beautiful time and her sweet feelings. You can't imagine how it(and she) uplift me.
One more thing-just look at yourself and you will see her beautiful reflection. How lucky you are! Candy Hargraves
Post a Comment